måndag 6 juli 2020

Deciphering damselflies

As you might remember I was happy about finding Irish Damselfly (Coenagrion lunulatum) on a bog in my area earlier this year. The other day I went out and did my best to photograph damsels on another site. Found no less than 3 different species among only about double that amount of individuals. Arctic Bluet (Coenagrion johanssoni) was new for the site for me (and certainly one of our international attractions here) but Spearhead Bluet (Coenagrion hastulatum) was new even for my county list. There was also Variable Bluet  (Coenagrion pulchellum) which is a more common species. The others might well be overlooked though, since not many people look for them and it takes some detailed scrutiny to decipher them. Great fun nature detective work though! Below Arctic Bluet (see the "sfinx-marking" on segment 2), Spearhead Bluet (thor´s hammer on S2) and Variable Bluet (with broken shoulder line) in order of appearance.




Inga kommentarer: